Data Lineage and Data Tracer
Bank executives responsible for submitting reports and attesting to the numbers and positions need to trust their governance process in order to confidently sign off those reports. The person responsible for reporting should have confidence that the numbers and positions are correct.
- Inadequate data and process governance
- Reconciliation issues
- Data integrity concerns leading to low-quality information and inadequate analytics
- Aging data warehouse technologies
- Huge volumes of disparate data sources across the enterprise.
To address these challenges and rising global and regional standards around data governance, Financial Institutions (FIs) have been evaluating and implementing data lineage tools. However, getting data lineage right is challenging work. Some of it is incomplete and when it is available, it is often dispersed. And even when it is effectively funneled to one place, many systems are not designed to handle or interact with highly complex and granular regulatory reports which might result in limitations in scaling data lineage projects.To address these challenges and comply with rising global/regional standards around data governance, banks can implement AxiomSL’s data lineage solution.
AXIOMSL’S DATA LINEAGE DELIVERS:
- Automated out-of-the-box data lineage for reporting solutions, and a balance of drill-
down and traceability, documentation and filtering capabilities.
- Data Tracer, allowing users to track the data flow of financial instruments from the
initial source to final report. This is a game changer because users can now see all
the different reports that reflect their positions in one place. It also ensures reports
are reconciled and complete.
- Visualization capabilities addressing business and technology needs. Outputs include graphical, narrative (pdf), XML file and others, allowing users to design their specific
- The ability for users to respond quickly to inquiries related to numbers in the regulatory reports, freeing up highly skilled analysts, who can be used for data analysis instead of preparing reports.
- Critical data elements that can be identified and data quality checks that can be instituted across the firm as part of the data governance strategy.
- A key tool for internal auditors to support banks’ needs regarding data flows, change management and documentation.
- The capability to track data from a bottom up perspective, or from the top down starting with the end-product report and examining the business logic.
AxiomSL’s data lineage technology can be compared to a GPS tracking your “data
route” from the source to the final destination while collecting all types of critical
information and analytics that will streamline and optimize the bank’s processes
along the way
AxiomSL’s data lineage GPS captures and documents data flows, data transformations,
critical data elements and business logic from the point of data entry
to the final regulatory or internal management report. The intelligence it gathers
yields business value and faster time to market, and delivers the most “reliable
and trusted route” to get to your targeted destination confidently and in a timely
Bank executives are thinking strategically about their data, especially when
initiatives such as BCBS 239 have made data lineage a top concern. Regulators
are asking for more information on a granular level on a timely basis from quarterly
to weekly and in some cases daily.
Tactical approaches and manual processes used to capture lineage and even
document it in Excel are not sustainable and create operational inefficiencies. Automation
will also free-up highly skilled analysts, who can be used for data analysis
rather than preparing reports or solving reconciliation issues. The cornerstone of
data governance begins with data lineage, and high data integrity enables banks to
enhance their decision process and drive business growth.
AxiomSL’s Data Tracer allows users to track the data flow of financial instruments
rom the initial source to the final report. This is a game changer because
users can now see all the different reports that reflect their positions in one place.